The Department has a track record of high quality research. A substantial part of the research data by the current and past academic members of staff have been published in highly reputable international journals as well as local journals of international repute. These staff have endeavoured to distinguish themselves as high-calibre researchers in their various disciplines.
The Department has a number of facilities for teaching and research purposes:
- State of the art workstations, for integrated oil field interpretation donated by Shell Nigeria, Mobil Nigeria and Chevron Nigeria.
- Kingdom Suite of Seismic Micro-Technology
- SeisVision of Landmark Graphics in collaboration with Shell Production and Development Company, (SPDC) Nigeria
- Geoframes of Schlumberger in collaboration with ExxonMobil Nigeria
- Opendtect of the dGB company based in the Netherlands in collaboration with SPDC, Nigeria.
- Oasis Montaj of Geosoft Corporation – made available to the Department by Shell Production and Development Company
- RocDok software donated by Ikon Science in UK
The Geology Museum contains a vast collection of rocks, minerals and other geological specimens.
Various Laboratory equipment are available in the Department. They include:
- Microscopes: Petrographic microscopes, reflecting microscopes and palynological microscopes.
- Rock cutting and pulverizing machines
- X-tray Diffractometer
- X-ray Fluorescence Machines
- Fume Chambers, and,
- et cetera
- Seismograph for Refraction Seismics
- ABEM SAS 300 Resistivity Meter
- Proton Precession Magnetometer
- Geonic VLF measuring equipment
- Gravity Meter
- GPR meter
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund recently donated an extension to the Geology building and provided state-of-the-art facilities and some furnishing valued at about N450 million naira.
To facilitate our fieldwork programmes, the Department has four vehicles
- Very new 14 Seater Bus donated by Exxon/NNPC and Total
- 26-seater Toyota bus donated by Chevron Nigeria Limited
- 16-seater Hiace bus donated by our alumni in ExxonMobil
- 16-seater Urvan bus donated by our alumni in ExxonMobil and
- Four-wheel drive Isuzu Trooper vehicle (funded by ExxonMobil)